24 March 2012

Success!



We’ve done it.  We’ve reversed deforestation, brought more frequent rains, and reduced the temperature here in Mahadaga!
In February we experienced a very unusual wind storm which stirred the dust up and cooled much of Burkina Faso.  Soon after, we experienced a very strong rain storm – current generations cannot remember such a rain this early in the year.  And even in March temperatures are strangely mild.
It just so happens that this has been the first year of implementing our survival gardens.  Coincidence?  I think not!

Okay, so maybe we’re not changing the climate.  But there are families who will feel a “change in the winds” so to speak.  A number of families (so far we’re working with upwards of 20 families) are working on developing their gardens – and they’re producing even in the midst of the dry season!  Furthermore, many of them are not Christians, and they are rubbing shoulders with Christians who work with them.  Often the pastor takes this opportunity to go to speak to the families as well.

I should give you an update on a recent decision for which you may have been praying.  I have decided to stay in Mahadaga a few months longer.  I plan to be here until early November.  You can pray for the Walsh’s as they continue get ready to come back (new baby, raising funds, getting things in order for another few years in Mahadaga for their family of 6 now).  They’ll come back not long before I leave, so I’ll have a little time to pass the baton to Matt again.  Thanks for your prayers in this decision.  Also, some have asked if this will cost more.  Yes it will, but your (the Church’s) financial giving has provided a surplus that will cover my per diem, and nearly pays for the cost of a new ticket (I had to buy another one because the return ticket that I had was only good for up to a year).

It’s been strange.  For some reason I expected to treat issues out here like they were “critical but stable”, but it is becoming apparent (especially as I talk with the missionaries here) that there is a real struggle for survival for many families here.  And we’re a few months away from the hardest times (maybe July into Aug) – when all of the food is eaten from the previous harvest, and the heavy rains only bring a promise for delayed satisfaction – which is tough when you haven’t eaten in a few days.  But as I said earlier, I expected that this was “normal” and that people have adjusted somehow.  But it’s becoming clear that this isn’t “normal”.  In Mahadaga (and surrounding areas), the population has been booming, the land continues to deteriorate.  The mostly barren bluffs used to be a thick forest just 50 years ago.  It makes me look at the situation a little differently when I realize that things are changing for this new generation of Burkinabe.
That is, my work (aside from Bible Studies) has been directed toward developing people who can dig wells to get ample, clean water year round.  I think that’s a good goal.  However, I suppose my eyes are being opened to more of the “emergency”.  (Some of you may say “no, duh”, but I guess I’ve just been calloused to it).  I hear things like 65% of Burkina Faso is run on foreign aid.  65% - that’s crazy… how can you run a country like that?  Sometimes I think that’s part of the problem.  But maybe you’re one of those people (perhaps I’m becoming one of them) that recognizes an emergency, and wants to do something.  If so, pray.  Also, the Johnson’s have recently started a famine relief program of some kind.  I can get the specifics if you’re interested, but in short, I think all of the money given goes to a local church to be distributed to those in need during the upcoming difficult months.

I was just preparing for tomorrow morning’s Bible Study with the workers.  We will continue our study through the book of Mark.  Mark 4 talks about how the person who has much will be given more; and the person who has nothing, even what he has will be taken.  I never understood this well, but I’m pretty sure it’s not talking about wealth.  I’m pretty sure it’s talking about truth – those who are given truth will be given more and more, and those who aren’t told the truth or reject it (the Gospel) will be lost perhaps thinking they have truth, but eventually (in this life or the next) what they hold onto (a false promise perhaps) will be ripped from them.  The following parables in Mark go on to describe the truth of God’s Kingdom in its mystery, its inevitability, and its expanse.  It can be seen as an encouragement to take heart in the growth of the Church from a dead God and a dozen hiding “followers”, to a risen Christ and a growing Community empowered by the Holy Spirit to share God’s truth and love.

If you’re wondering if I’m eating well, Betty just brought me a carrot cake that she made.  Last week Francoise brought be a huge dish of her leftovers a potato cassorole (of which there was about 7/8ths of the dish left untouched).  Last night the Combari family brought me a pot of rice and a dish of meat sauce with veggies.  And the Johnson’s are currently in Ouaga (not here for me to impose on at the moment), but they’ll come back with grocery gifts for me.  So yes, I’m being well looked after.  Thanks to God and the generous people here.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that we officially opened one of our water distribution points where a water tower from the Handicap Center provides water to a few taps along the road (see picture).  Three people from the Handicap Center have been trained to sell the water (I think it’s about a penny per gallon).  So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment