06 September 2012

I'll come up with a better title later.

Hello.

Today is Thursday morning.  My work with ODD (Open Door Development – the program with drilling wells, making fence, etc.) is changing.  Last Friday was the last day of work for the 7 guys with whom I’ve been closely working.  Four of the seven guys have sufficiently learned the work so that I am hoping to help them (if they choose) get started with an enterprise for themselves.  In mid-October & early November I am hoping to recommence with the work via a more formal apprenticeship program.

Matt Walsh and his family (long term missionaries here) are on home assignment.  They’ve been blessed with another child – Sarah (I think that’s right).  I was hoping to have at least a week or two of overlap with Matt and his family here in Burkina before I come back to the States to help with the transition.  However, before the Walsh’s return to Mahadaga, they need to wait on a few things:  birth certificate, passport, visa, ticket.   I am praying that God would expedite this process, because as of now, it sounds like mid-November would be the earliest possible return date (likely after I am planning to leave).

In the midst of the changes here, Diamouadi remains the sole full time employee for ODD and I am relying on him heavily to help me get the work done (harvesting corn & sorghum, collecting material for compost, and finding day laborers).  His commitment and partnership is such a blessing to me.

Oh, we recently placed the large plastic tank on top of the 5m water tower structure behind the Medical Center.  That was quite a feat (involving a dozen guys, 2 failed attempts, a bunch of rope, and eventually Dale’s car).  I’ll try to get some pictures of it.

Last night was great!  Bouba plans to take on a pump repair job on his own (renting my tools).  We spoke at long length last night about the tool rental and the cost estimate.  He’s never been to school, he’s not literate, and his simple math is a bit shaky.  But he left our conversation (along with the help of Diamouadi) very encouraged – and me too.  Please pray for his first time working on pumps without the direct oversight of ODD.

I want to write more, but I’ll stop… well, I’ll add that I thank you for your continued interest and prayers.  Last Tuesday night I prepared a short Bible study on the end of Hezekiah’s life and the lessons we learn.  Specifically, Hezekiah cried to God for mercy when the prophets declared Hezekiah’s death (without a son and still under the burden of Assyria).  God responded to Hezekiah and granted him a longer life (after having a son and being free of Assyria’s attacks).  But after that, Hezekiah sinned in pride (showed the Babylonians his riches), and God’s prophets said that his nation would again fall into the hands of their enemies – which happened.  Hezekiah didn’t bother praying to God for his mercy because he was happy that it wasn’t going to affect Judah during his lifetime.  Well… that story reminds me of the importance of prayer and the importance to learn to have God’s heart – even when we may not be directly affected.  I praise God for each of you who pray for Mahadaga and for so many other people/situations that aren’t necessarily directly affecting your daily lives.  (Ironically I'm currently listening to "Headphones" by "Jars of Clay".)

No comments:

Post a Comment